☛ Seeking unpublished, amazing writing and art — we'd love to see more photos, paintings, drawings, diagrams, graphic narratives, &c. Artists/photographers may email thumbs or portfolio links if the Images category is closed.
☛ Our taste is best gauged by reading an issue or at least our archive. This is a journal of safety and danger. We want what we have not seen before. “I don’t have a lot of time. I can give a poem a couple of lines, a short story a paragraph, and a novel a few pages, then if I can stop reading without a sense of loss, I do, and I go on to something else.” —Flannery O’Connor
☛ One submission at a time, up to four per 12 months.
☛ Be respectful of other writers and don't withdraw to correct typos, cover letters, etc. We can receive a limited number of free submissions each month.
☛ By submitting you agree to join our (infrequent) mailing list.
☛ Storm Cellar requires first serial rights and nonexclusive, ongoing electronic rights, per our guidelines. Serial rights revert to author upon publication. Authors receive the print edition, the ebook, and a discount on further print copies; plus, we love you forever.
You're awesome. The cabbage you're sending will keep us in pencils and rubber for another year.
Also, if you want, upload up to 20pp. of anything and we'll consider it for publication.
Friendship gifts can be credited in print or anonymous; gifts at the Uplifting, Sustaining, and Sponsor levels can be credited in print for one year, or anonymous. Donations to Storm Cellar are not tax-deductible charitable giving, but they do aid in covering our production, distribution, and server costs, allowing us to bring this magazine into the world.
Yes, we can send the issue as a gift!
Submit anything (or nothing).* We'll send you the issue of your choice, print and/or ebook. Choose the appropriate add-on to receive the print edition; check "no ebook" for print-only delivery. ( Current issue info | archive. )
- Ebook arrives by email attachment (up to 10MB) from email@example.com.
- Artists choosing this option may email us a flickr/portfolio/WeTransfer/Google Docs/etc. link, instead of creating a single file for their submission.
* We're unlikely to print more than 20 pp. (6000 wd./600 ll.) of anything, but if you're convinced a longer (group of) work(s) is perfect for us, go ahead.
- Up to 20 pages, any medium, subject, style.
- Print edition interior is grayscale on uncoated paper, no larger than 5"x7".
- Ebook edition is color, and larger where appropriate.
Though we want to see things different from what we've published so far, our main criterion is whether we dig what you're laying down. We tend to prefer striking compositions and contrasty texture. We like, but by no means require, series and projects.
We suggest you use the title of the image (if any) as the filename. We can handle most common file formats, but see below about file types.
Friendly advice about file size: Whatever size/format you upload, we suggest having originals available at 300dpi/1800px wide minimum (we prefer at least 600dpi/3000px wide for covers), in a lossless format like .tiff, uncompressed .png, or .ai. If your originals are smaller or .jpeg, that's fine: don't blow them up unless your Photoshop fu is strong.
• 1 item, up to 5,000 words. We lean toward the swift/compact.
Lyric(-al) and narrative(-ish) essay, form-blending & genre-bending, personal-ized history and memoir-that-connects-to-larger-issues: we're talking creative nonfiction. No academic studies, no lit crit. We may print your review/"review" of pretty much anything (including a Sweet Corn Festival or new talking-robot-toilet model), if it's funny, bizarre, and/or actually an essay. The internet's filled with short nonfiction, so surprise us.
Things we've not seen enough: formal invention, adventures, minority perspectives, things from the Midwest, things outside the US, truly weird crime, environmental disaster/success, signs & portents.
Things we've seen too much: cancer, addiction, break-ups, grampaw's war diary, mi-ma's cookies.
Interpret these suggestions as loosely as you see fit.
• 1 fiction up to 5,000 words. More-compact stories tend to do better.
We like it hot, we like it cold, we like it hard and fast, we like it slow and gentle, we like it traditional,* we like it experimental.
We like it anonymous, don't care about a title page. We like it 12pt Times New Roman, double spaced.
* Traditional: 1. not experimental; 2. ignorance, thanatos, octopodes, standing stones, sex rites, MRIs, cavaliers, Cadillacs, rude boys, buried toys, gold fever, war fever, bone fever, baby fever, submarines, pipe dreams, cigarettes & rock music, sign vs. signifier, prairie fire, smugglers, insurance, kissing cousins, "here there be monsters," border crossing, Amazons, apocalyptics, analytics, riding tigers, tiny islands, hackers, holograms, embezzlement, grafitti, hot zones, outer space….
Flash — what is this? Send us it.
- Up to 5 poems, 400 lines/15 pages total.
- All poems in one document, each beginning a new page.
We're open to anything. We like surprises.
Yes, we send gift subscriptions!
The print edition of Storm Cellar delivered anywhere. Print subscribers outside the USA, MEX, and CAN should choose the Overseas fee. Ebook-only subscriptions are delivered via email.
- Print subscription free add-on: the ebook sent to your inbox.
- We publish about 2–3 issues per year; subscriptions are by-the-issue.
- Shipping is included.
Just want to read a back issue after you submit? Click this.