☛ Seeking unpublished, amazing writing and art — we'd love to see more photos, paintings, drawings, diagrams, graphic narratives, &c. Artists/photographers may email thumbs or portfolio links if the Art category is closed.
☛ We are actively prioritizing work by under-represented people: Indigenous, Black, people of color, lgbtqia+, women and gender nonbinary, disabled, poor, border-straddling, neuroatypical, and more. For real. You can put it right in the cover letter field. (We are not seeking performances of suffering aimed at a middle class-cishet-white audience.)
☛ One submission at a time (except contests). Up to four free subs per year per author.
☛ Be respectful of other writers and do not withdraw/resubmit to correct typos, cover letters, make revisions to one paragraph, etc. We can receive only a limited number of free submissions each month.
☛ By submitting you agree to join our (very infrequent) mailing list.
☛ Storm Cellar requires first serial rights and nonexclusive, ongoing electronic rights, per our guidelines. Serial rights revert to author upon publication. Contributors receive $10 honorarium by PP, two complimentary copies of the print edition, the ebook, and a discount on further print copies; plus, we love you forever.
- Up to 20 images (files), any medium, subject, style.
- Print edition interior is grayscale on uncoated paper, no larger than 5"x7".
- Ebook edition is color, and larger where appropriate.
Though we want to see things different from what we've published so far, our main criterion is whether we dig what you're laying down. We tend to prefer striking compositions and contrasty texture. We like, but by no means require, series and projects.
We suggest you use the title of the image (if any) as the filename. We can handle most common file formats, but see below about file types.
Friendly advice about file size: Whatever size/format you upload, we suggest having originals available at 300dpi/1800px wide minimum (we prefer at least 600dpi/3000px wide for covers), in a lossless format like .tiff, uncompressed .png, or .ai. If your originals are smaller or .jpeg, that's fine: don't blow them up unless your Photoshop fu is strong.
Response time 7 days or less.
Don't want to wait? Send anything, all in one file.* Use the cover letter space to note mixed-, no-, and other-genre submissions.
Artists may email thumbnails or a link to a portfolio site/dropbox/wetransfer/etc. — email@example.com. If you prefer, drop the images in a PDF and upload them here.
* We are unlikely to publish more than 20 layout-pages of anything.
You're awesome. The cabbage you're sending will keep us in pencils and rubber for another year.
Also, if you want, upload up to 20pp. of anything and we'll consider it for publication.
Friendship gifts can be credited in print or anonymous; gifts at the Uplifting, Sustaining, and Sponsor levels can be credited in print for one year, or anonymous. Donations to Storm Cellar are not tax-deductible charitable giving, but they do aid in covering our production, distribution, and server costs, allowing us to bring this magazine into the world.
Yes, we can send the issue as a gift!
Submit anything (or nothing).* We'll send you the issue of your choice, print and/or ebook. Choose the appropriate add-on to receive the print edition; check "no ebook" for print-only delivery. ( Current issue info | archive. )
- Ebook arrives by email attachment (up to 10MB) from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artists choosing this option may email us a flickr/portfolio/WeTransfer/Google Docs/etc. link, instead of creating a single file for their submission.
* We're unlikely to print more than 20 pp. (6000 wd./600 ll.) of anything, but if you're convinced a longer (group of) work(s) is perfect for us, go ahead.
Yes, we send gift subscriptions!
The print and ebook editions of Storm Cellar delivered anywhere. Print subscribers outside the USA, MEX, and CAN should choose the Overseas fee. Ebook-only subscriptions are delivered via email.
- Print subscription free add-on: the ebook sent to your inbox.
- We publish about 2–3 issues per year; subscriptions are by-the-issue.
- Shipping is included.
Just want to read a back issue after you submit? Click this.
• 1 fiction up to 5,000 words. More-compact stories tend to do better. This is not the category for flash or micro (compact =/= short).
We like it hot, we like it cold, we like it hard and fast, we like it slow and gentle, we like it traditional,* we like it experimental.
We like it anonymous, don't care about a title page. We like it 12pt Times New Roman, double spaced.
* Traditional: 1. not experimental; 2. ignorance, thanatos, octopodes, standing stones, sex rites, MRIs, cavaliers, Cadillacs, rude boys, buried toys, gold fever, war fever, bone fever, baby fever, submarines, pipe dreams, cigarettes & rock music, sign vs. signifier, prairie fire, smugglers, insurance, kissing cousins, "here there be monsters," border crossing, Amazons, apocalyptics, analytics, riding tigers, tiny islands, hackers, holograms, embezzlement, grafitti, hot zones, outer space….
• 1 item, up to 5,000 words. We lean toward the swift/compact.
Lyric(-al) and narrative(-ish) essay, form-blending & genre-bending, personal-ized history and memoir-that-connects-to-larger-issues: we're talking creative nonfiction. No academic studies, no lit crit. We may print your review/"review" of pretty much anything (including a Sweet Corn Festival or new talking-robot-toilet model), if it's funny, bizarre, and/or actually an essay. The internet's filled with short nonfiction, so surprise us.
Things we've not seen enough: formal invention, adventures, minority perspectives, things from the Midwest, things outside the US, truly weird crime, environmental disaster/success, signs & portents.
Things we've seen too much: cancer, addiction, break-ups, grampaw's war diary, mi-ma's cookies.
Interpret these suggestions as loosely as you see fit.
Flash — what is this? Send us it.
- Up to 5 poems, 400 lines/15 pages total.
- All poems in one document, each beginning a new page.
We're open to anything. We like surprises.